nanog mailing list archives

Re: OSPF vs IS-IS

From: Matt Addison <matt.addison () lists evilgeni us>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 21:49:58 -0400

On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 21:11, Vinny Abello <vinny () abellohome net> wrote:
One of my favorite features in IS-IS is the ability to set the overload
bit during maintenance. The effect is the router on which you set it
isn't seen by any other devices in the topology as a transit path, but
you can still reach the router itself. I'm not as familiar with OSPF so
I'm unsure if there is a similar feature, but I thought it was exclusive
to IS-IS. Being able to easily limit the IGP size via the above
technique is also a great benefit. You can basically get away with just
your loopbacks.

-Vinny

Cisco and Juniper both support this (overload) in OSPFv2 using the
process described in RFC 3137. Juniper use the familiar 'overload'
command under the OSPF configuration, Cisco use the 'max-metric
router-lsa' [1] command under the OSPF config. Both should give
similar results to ISIS overload.

~Matt

1: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6599/products_white_paper09186a00800ade18.shtml