nanog mailing list archives

Re: Rate of growth on IPv6 not fast enough?

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 09:57:36 -0500

John Levine wrote:
Other than the .01% of consumer customers who are mega multiplayer
game weenies, what's not going to work?  Actual experience as opposed
to hypothetical hand waving would be preferable.

.01%? heh. NAT can break xbox, ps3, certain pc games, screw with various programs that dislike multiple connections from a single IP, and the crap load of vpn clients that appear on the network and do not support nat traversal (either doesn't support it, or big corp A refuses to enable it).

When we were in our infancy, we had areas doing NAT. It was a support nightmare from hell, and in some cases, it just didn't work period. That doesn't even get into the load issues.

Jack