nanog mailing list archives

Re: Juniper M120 Alternatives

From: "Kevin Oberman" <oberman () es net>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 09:18:03 -0800

Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 16:14:52 -0000 (GMT)
From: "Gary Mackenzie" <net-ops () monolith-networks net>

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 09:04, Dale W. Carder <dwcarder () wisc edu> wrote:

On Nov 16, 2009, at 9:54 AM, Gary Mackenzie wrote:

Having slightly lost track of what everybody is using for peering
routers
these days, what is the consensus about the best alternative to Juniper
series routers?

have you looked at the MX series?

+1
~Chris

Dale

I had looked briefly, does anybody here actually use them as peering
routers? I've seen a few implementations using them in the MPLS P and PE
router roles but never as border routers.

If there is some precedent for using them in this role that's good to hear
and I'll take another look, I was loath to move away from Juniper as our
current boxes are been the model of reliability.

We use them as peering routers and are in the process of upgrading all
of our peering routers to MX boxes.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)