nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 Confusion

From: sthaug () nethelp no
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 21:10:57 +0100 (CET)

Just how DO we get the message to the IETF that we need all the tools we
have in v4 (DHCP, VRRP, etc) to work with RA turned off?

You don't, because there isn't really a technical reason for turning off
RA.

I'm glad to see that several of the big vendors seem to disagree with
you.

- Cisco does RA as soon as an interface has an IPv6 address, but has a
knob to disable RA (ipv6 nd ra suppress).

- Juniper does *not* do RA as soon as an interface has an IPv6 address,
it must be explicitly configured.

So we are part way there - IPv6 can be used without RA. We just need
DHCPv6 to work properly without RA.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug () nethelp no