nanog mailing list archives

Re: Comcast - No complaints! [was: Re: Craptastic Service!

From: JC Dill <jcdill.lists () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 12:00:24 -0800

Jim Popovitch wrote:
On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 13:26, JC Dill <jcdill.lists () gmail com> wrote:
Many businesses could make out like a bandit if they don't have to
pay a penalty when they don't perform, but just give you your money back.

I'm curious, when traveling by car or by plane, do you often demand
imposition of penalties for travel latency?

Airlines pay "penalties" when they bump passengers even if you get there eventually - just later than you expected.

When I am bumped because the plane is overbooked, they don't just put me on the next flight they also compensate me for not putting me on the flight I had a reservation for. When I traveled from SFO to San Diego for Thanksgiving 2 years ago I was bumped both ways. I was compensated each time with a guaranteed seat on the next flight, a meal voucher, and a ticket voucher that I used to fly to the east coast last fall, and will be flying to the east coast again this fall on the second voucher.

When traveling by car I have far more control over the proposed route, time-of-day for travel, planned or spontaneous stops, etc. In exchange for this control I am also responsible for the outcome of my own travel plans.
jc