nanog mailing list archives

Re: Any help for Yahoo! Mail arrogance?

From: "Al Iverson" <aiversonlists () spamresource com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 10:44:30 -0400

On 10/30/07, Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET <ml () t-b-o-h net> wrote:
On Oct 29, 2007 11:01 PM, Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET <ml () t-b-o-h net> wrote:

        "Fix your forwarding a lot better". Not sure what this
means. My machines are MX's for the clients domain. They
accept it, and either forward it around locally to one of the
processing MX's or ARE one one of the processing MX's. Its

Yes, that's just how forwarding and .forwards work.

And if you mix inbound email (much dirtier than outbound email even if
you run a secure shop) into a mail stream that includes email sent out
by your clients, you potentially have random botnet spam, spam from
sbl listed spammers etc (in other words, a lot of "block on sight"
stuff) leaking through your IP, the same IP that a bunch of your other
customers use to mail out to their aunt mary on yahoo.

        AH, I see the confusion. We are a managed server hosting
company, not a Cable/DSL/T#/Dialup provider. The only way mail gets
sent out of here is Webmail, FormMail and Mail exploder.

So no mail would ever be coming inbound and then being forwarded on?
That seems...unlikely.

I'm pretty sure
none of our systems have been compromised and forwards mail that we
don't know about.

Yet your sending IP reputation is poor....

Regards,
Al Iverson

--
Al Iverson on Spam and Deliverability, see http://www.spamresource.com