nanog mailing list archives

Re: Collocation Access

From: Roland Perry <lists () internetpolicyagency com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 21:40:45 +0100

In article <20061023103731.W56322 () iama hypergeek net>, John A. Kilpatrick <john () hypergeek net> writes
In fact he did have an AT&T badge which he was not allowed to hand over
either.  The fellow I chatted with at AT&T said they are not allowed to
hand over their badge because it would compromise their security.

My tech said the same thing. That keycard could grant central office access so he couldn't surrender it.

I have to admit (now I've been sent some information off-list) that I didn't realise the co-lo security were holding onto the "badge" (or access card or whatever) the whole time the tech was on the premises. Yes, that would give more opportunities for bad things to happen. In many years of gaining access to secured buildings I've only ever had that happen once (passport exchanged for a visitor's pass, and back again at the end of the day).
--
Roland Perry