nanog mailing list archives

Re: What do we mean when we say "competition?" (was: Re: [Latest draft of Internet regulation bill])

From: Michael.Dillon () btradianz com
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 15:46:31 +0000

The RBOCs
should be split up into a wholesale *only* division (owns the poles,
wires, buildings,switches) and a services *retail* division (owns the
dialtone, bandwidth, customers ).   The wholesale division should
sell service to the retail division at a regulated TELRIC based price
which will allow the wholesale division to make enough money to build/
maintain the best infrastructure in the world.

This is more or less what BT has done in the UK by splitting
off all the field engineering into a separate company called
Openreach.

UK already has had a thriving digital radio network and
digital TV network for several years. They are already starting
to shut down analog TV transmitters. We have lept ahead in
deployment of broadband with a variety of providers in most
cities. Perhaps there are lessons to be learned here?

More regulation of the physical infrastructure (the expensive piece)
and less regulation of the bits to foster competitive solutions and
bring along new innovations.   The future innovations are not going
to revolve around new types of fiber.  They will revolve around what
can be done with high bandwidth to everyone.

I doubt if even the RBOC executives understand this fundamental
distinction.

--Michael Dillon