nanog mailing list archives

RE: Sensible geographical addressing

From: "Scott Morris" <swm () emanon com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 10:22:12 -0500

3 bits as a prefix would work perfectly fine IMHO.

This gives us an entire 32-bit space PER CONTINENT.  As I noted before I
don't think the penguins really need that many Ips in Antartica, but that
could always be set aside.  In addition, there's an extra set (only 7
continents at last count) for extra-terrestrial expansion or other needs.

And, that gives the ability to filter entire continents out if necessary.
The country code (ITU) isn't really a bad idea either, but I'm just thinking
less overall binary bits.

Scott