nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6, IPSEC and deep packet inspection

From: Merike Kaeo <kaeo () merike com>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 14:14:39 -0800

On Dec 31, 2004, at 12:10 PM, Daniel Roesen wrote:

On Fri, Dec 31, 2004 at 10:46:56AM -0800, Merike Kaeo wrote:
An IPv6 network is sufficiently different from IPv4 that I encourage
folks to not simply slap an IPv4 security  model onto future IPv6
networks.

Can you elaborate on "sufficiently different" please? Especially
on details which make anything _conceptually_ different for security?

OK. Brevity always loses :) Yes, you still have same fundamental security issues of providing authentication, authorization, access control, confidentiality and audit so none of the investment in learning about how to protect IPv4 networks is lost.....however, where and how you provide the security services can be different for IPv4 vs IPv6 networks.

I am in no way advocating replacing the existing IDS/fw devices but how we use them today will not be effective if end-to-end encrypted traffic becomes more prevalent so we may have to think about it 'differently' in IPv6 networks.

Some issues regarding threat differences were pointed out in a NANOG presentation : http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0405/miller.html

Issues mostly come down to the fact that addressing is so different (not just scale but also how you obtain the addresses) and the fact that encrypted traffic end-to-end *may* become more prevalent. And yes, I am a huge proponent of getting rid of the saying that 'IPsec is inherently built into IPv6' - just because the standard mandates its implementation doesn't mean that people will turn it on :)

So, in my opinion since nothing has yet been proven in practice........

- fw functionality will change since *IF* IPsec encryption will become more widespread end-to-end, all the bits which firewalls need to look at will not be available. However, the IPsec specs do refer to 'hooks' which smart vendors can use to provide firewall capabilities within IPsec devices. Does this mean that end-hosts will themselves have better firewall/IPsec capability? TBD.....but I'd expect (hope) that to be the case. The firewalls which exist at network ingress/egress points will still have a place but may not necessarily perform 'deep packet inspection' if end-to-end encryption is used. On the other hand, if folks do still want to perform 'deep packet inspection' then perhaps that means end-to-end encryption will not become prevalent and the Firewall devices will act as IPsec end-points?!?

- IDS equipment...where does this leave us with logging? How do we detect potential attacks if there is end-to-end encryption? How are addressing re-configurations recorded so that logs have meaning?

- the addressing issues (automated and larger scale in IPv6) will change some ways the authentication, filtering and auditing will happen.

 merike