nanog mailing list archives

Re: Smallest Transit MTU

From: Robert E.Seastrom <rs () seastrom com>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 01:00:22 -0500

Dan Hollis <goemon () anime net> writes:

Why is this a problem?  ECN has to be deployed on routers, and it
currently isn't.

Because tcp connection endpoints have to implement ECN in order to manage
the flow.

A naive reader might think from Dan's posting that the Internet didn't
work at all before ECN was codified (experimental with RFC 2481 in
January 1999 and standards-track with RFC 3168 in September 2001).

Heck, if I didn't know better, I'd think he was trolling.

Of course, I may just be a grouchy malcontent who doesn't use RED, any
other kind of active queue management, or take hits from the
end-to-end-QoS-bong when it is passed in my direction...  since the
only QoS for which I have any use is Quantity of Service.  ECN has
always looked to me like a solution in search of a problem, which may
be why so few people have their panties in a bunch over non-support of
it.

                                        ---Rob