nanog mailing list archives

Re: Smallest Transit MTU

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch () muada com>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 01:17:02 +0100

On 30-dec-04, at 0:48, Tony Rall wrote:

Remember that the DF bit is in the IP header - it can be on in any
protocol.  I know that AIX and my old RH Linux (at least) defaults to
PMTUD enabled for tcp and udp.  You can even see it in dns lookups.

I'm interested to learn what a poor unsuspecting UDP application does when it sends out packets that turn out to be too large? The UDP protocol is in no position to limit the packet size. So if the application doesn't do it either, the IP layer has to fragment the packets. This is exactly what happens with IPv6, but since routers must be prepared to fragment in IPv4 anyway, the whole exercise becomes fairly pointless...