nanog mailing list archives

Re: Fun new policy at AOL

From: "Dr. Jeffrey Race" <jrace () attglobal net>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 05:54:16 +0700

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 12:07:30 -0400, Matthew Crocker wrote:

It can be built without choke points.  ISPs could form trust
relationships with each other and bypass the central mail relay.  AOL
for example could require ISPs to meet certain criteria before they are
allowed direct connections.  ISPs would need to contact AOL, provide
valid contact into and accept some sort of AUP (I shall not spam
AOL...) and then be allowed to connect from their IPs.  AOL could kick
that mail server off later if they determine they are spamming.

Now there is an idea!  However an improved variant is to make the
entire internet a 'trust relationship' using the (obvious) steps you
propose.   For several months I have been pondering possible details of
implementing same; see <http://www.camblab.com/misc/univ_std.txt>.
Comments welcome.

Jeffrey Race