nanog mailing list archives

Re: Eat this RIAA (or, the war has begun?) - Why not all ISPs?

From: Andy Dills <andy () xecu net>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 14:50:30 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Rob Healey wrote:

      Can ISP's arbitrarily refuse to give service to someone who tries
      to sign up? i.e. if everyone refused to give Sony service could they
      sue on some sort of discrimination/collusion charge?

ISPs, if they wanted, could have a policy that states "We refuse to
service people of color, alternate sexualities, non-christians, and
women. If you fit that, don't apply."

      Do ISP/ASP/*SP's HAVE to provide services if someone knocks on the
      door requesting them or can they refuse for any reason what so ever?

Any private business can serve whoever they want.

      Any armchair lawyers, who play one on TV, have the/an answer?

I'm not a lawyer, but this is pretty fundemental so you get my input
anyway.

Andy

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Andy Dills                              301-682-9972
Xecunet, LLC                            www.xecu.net
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dialup * Webhosting * E-Commerce * High-Speed Access