nanog mailing list archives

RE: Eat this RIAA (or, the war has begun?) - Why not all ISPs?

From: "Daniel Golding" <dgolding () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 14:49:02 -0400

Rob,

Since the recording industry isn't a protected class, we can always choose
not to do business with them. However, I would expect that someone will do
business witht them, in the end, Money talks.

- Daniel Golding

Rob Healey Said....

The RIAA, itself, doesn't use the net for
revenew, or, really, much of anything.  What few uses they do have
could easily be served through disposable dialup accounts.  It
is the RIAA member companies, such as Sony (one of the biggest
offenders), Arista, Geffen, etc. which are getting their revenue
through the net.  Unfortunately, no provider can defend turning
off Sony as a rational business decision.  Your customers wouldn't
tolerate it or stand behind you on it.  (If anyone wants to prove
me wrong, I would very much enjoy being wrong on this).

      Generic question related to this:

      Can ISP's arbitrarily refuse to give service to someone who tries
      to sign up? i.e. if everyone refused to give Sony service could they
      sue on some sort of discrimination/collusion charge?

      Do ISP/ASP/*SP's HAVE to provide services if someone knocks on the
      door requesting them or can they refuse for any reason what so ever?

      Any armchair lawyers, who play one on TV, have the/an answer?

      -Rob