nanog mailing list archives

Re: Netgate.net.nz/ORBS spam colusion

From: Dean Anderson <dean () av8 com>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2000 19:09:10 -0500

Its more pernicious.  I've discussed the technical details on other lists,
just to demonstrate necessity.  Suffice it to say there are good reasons
that the _default_ relay behavior was changed instead of removing relay
capability altogether.  And I'm not the only one who operates relays. I'm
just the only one dumb enough to try to explain to the junior anti-spammer
league why relays are necessary, which is how we became listed in ORBS.  I
admit that was a mistake. Prior to that, we had no relay problems in the
previous 4 years of relay operation.  Most spammers don't have the
resources to scan a large chunk of the net without detection. They depend
on someone else to tell them where the relays are.

Now I'm saddled with having to shut down ORBS to stop people from abusing
our servers.  It could get expensive. But I don't have a choice now.

                --Dean