nanog mailing list archives

Re: Core router bakeoff?

From: Karl Denninger <karl () mcs net>
Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 06:26:02 -0500

On Thu, May 07, 1998 at 10:39:00PM -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
In general, I don't buy branded PCs. I tend to go to places where I
get to spec the motherboard, drives, power supply, case, etc. There
are a bunch of vendors that will let you work this way. Typically you
end up having to form a relationship with a particular guy at your
vendor who you know will get you what you want. Paul Vixie turned me
on to Billy Bath (who now works at Tesys) but there are lots of
others. I've done some work with a place in NYC operated by an
immigrant family, where I literally walk in and point and the parts in
the glass cases of their tiny and crowded shop. "I want THAT
motherboard, THAT case, THAT powersupply... I'll need two machines, by
tomorrow afternoon."

Typically these places/guys are very cheap, but since I'm spec'ing
every last bit of the thing I get pretty good control, since I end up
knowing every detail of what I'm in for in advance. I don't believe in
buying no-name stuff where I don't know what's in it, but its so easy
to spec the whole thing these days that you *do* end up knowing what's
in it.

Perry

I've been working with a place called CompuElectronics in Lincolnwood now
for something like three years.

The folks there aren't the cheapest, but you don't get crap from them, and
they build to order.

--
--
Karl Denninger (karl () MCS Net)| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin