nanog mailing list archives

Re: Core router bakeoff?

From: Richard Welty <rwelty () neworks net>
Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 09:42:46 -0400

At 05:47 PM 5/7/98 -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

Arnaud Girsch writes:
Why not considering the 4th vendor, Cabletron, for this kind of equipment,
before using PCs.

PCs are cheap and I know them well. I wasn't aware Cabletron even had
a box with a BGP-4 implementation in it.

they just bought Yago, who were developing an ASIC based "big honking
router". it's just hit beta. if i were staying at INet Solutions (today is
my last day at the old shop) i'd have an evalution/beta unit in here right
now. they're still working on the various and sundry port cards; the
original version didn't have a lot of the WAN cards it needed to be a
really useful backbone piece.

That sounds like salesspeak. I've used lots of cabletron hubs and such
over the years, but they never seemed to have real routers.

but the smartswitch 2200 runs RIPv1... and according to cabletron's press
release, it does "level 4 switching"...

cheers,
  richard

--