Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Comcast blocking mail to its customers

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 19:27:42 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Joshua Tinnin <krinklyfig () gmail com>
Date: October 16, 2008 5:15:47 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: gep2 () terabites com
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:       Comcast blocking mail to its customers

Begin forwarded message:
From: Gordon Peterson <gep2 () terabites com>
Date: October 16, 2008 1:02:57 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
One simple and remarkably effective first-stage rule is to allow the
recipients to simply declare that BY DEFAULT they wish to block mail
from recipient-untrusted (or unfamiliar) senders if the message:

  1)  contains HTML (key to all manner of evasion of antispam
filtering);

  2)  contains any attachments (likewise, and key to most viruses and
worms arriving by E-mail... just today alone I received two spam
messages with apparently hostile attachments);

  3)  is bigger than a specified size.

I believe that recipients should be able to establish a fine-grained
"permissions list" of people who they accept mail from, and what TYPES
of mail they expect to see from that sender (for example, I'm not
going to accept executable attachments from most folks, although if my
dear old Aunt Gertie wants to send me a picture of her poodle Fifi,
that's probably safe).

Establishing such a default rule for previously unfamiliar/untrusted
senders means that senders would need to negotiate in advance with
recipients (and using small plain text messages) if they want to send
HTML mail or attachments (or large messages, for that matter).  Of
course, that's only just courteous behavior anyhow... although it
would be nice to have that practically become A REQUIREMENT, by
convention.

This default rule by itself would virtually eliminate E-mail as a
transmission vector for viruses and worms... so it helps with a lot
more than only just the spam problem!

Well, that sounds great, but what if, for example, the recipient is a
real estate agent who gets HTML by 99% of senders, who gets attachments
on a regular basis from people sending photos for listings, and who
cannot whitelist based on these conditions or lose the vast majority of
potential clients? I work for an ISP in Taos, NM, a rural area resort
town, and there are a lot of architects, real estate agents and artists
here. For the vast majority of them, this type of filtering wouldn't
work.

As is the case with so many of thse sorts of suggestions, it seems
completely oblivious to how the "real world" actually uses their email.
Myself, I use mutt, fetchmail and procmail, and I use my ISP for
POP/SMTP. I do all my own filtering through procmail and SpamAssassin.
HTML is handled through w3m inline, and I can view attachments through
separate applications. Plus, I can access my email from anywhere through
ssh. But I'm working on FreeBSD, which is even less popular than Linux
as a workstation, and although I'm very happy with how it all works,
it's hardly practical for most people.

- jt