Interesting People mailing list archives

Comcast blocking mail to its customers

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 15:06:42 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: October 14, 2008 1:45:19 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Comcast blocking mail to its customers

I am a happy user of DynDNS's Mailhop BackupMX service. Just got the following related to Comcast's blocking of inbound mail from DynDNS's Mailhop Forward service. Wholesale blocking of all mail intended for customers from a particular intermediate distributor, merely because they route it through an external service that adds value.

While this doesn't affect me personally, it represents a "reach" on the part of Comcast. The "Mailhop Forward" service allows a user to have mail directed to him personally at another domain (foo () bar com) to be directed to his comcast.net mailbox. As such it is like the "forwarding" that I do with my MIT Media Lab mail to my "reed.com" mailbox (hosted on a service provider).

Comcast is, in this case, rejecting its own users' specific choice of mail delivery path. Do they plan to do this for other forwarding services? What is the competitive rationale for blocking supposed "spam" that the users have elected to receive (and presumably delete once they determine they are, in fact, spam)?

From a legal point of view: Spam is defined as "unwanted commercial email" - it is NOT "bulk" mail (bulk mail includes such things as College Acceptance Letters to a whole class of accepted students). Comcast's ability to determine "unwantedness" against its own customers' expressed interests seems to be the overreaching issue here.

Did Comcast issue a statement to its users that warns them of this tinkering with the mail addressed to them?