Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: re: IEEE SPectrum Opinion: Speakout: An Engineer's view of VCs

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 02:14:43 -0400

From: "Ridgely C. Evers" <revers () evers org>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>

Dave,

Sorry to innundate you, but this one caught my eye as well.

I've worked with venture capitalists for almost 20 years, and have come to
believe that the traditional venture capital industry is profoundly broken.

There's always been a structural problem, to wit, the *customer* of the
venture industry is the investor, not the entrepreneur (despite all the
assertions to the contrary on every VC's web site).  Entrepreneurs are
suppliers to the venture firms, and we all know how well companies tend to
treat their suppliers!

VCs make money in two ways: on the "carry" -- their share of their
investors' profits -- and on the management fee -- an amount they get for
simply having a pulse.  In recent years, the fund sizes have gotten larger
and larger, to the point where, according to an article in the WSJ about 18
months ago, the average partner in a Sand Hill Road venture capital firm was
taking home $3 million a year just in management fees.

That, per se, is not a problem.  What *is* a problem is the ability of
venture capitalists to actually help in building a business; the people
involved have less and less real-world business-building experience.  It
reminds me of a sign that used to hang in H+E German Cars, the original BMW
dealer in Palo Alto, back in the 60's:
   Shop Rate:     $25/hr
   If you watch:  $35/hr
   If you help:   $50/hr

What's starting to happen, though, is a classic example of the free market
at work.  New, smaller venture firms are cropping up, started and run by
people who have had career experience that is of real value to their
portfolio companies.

Here's an analogy that may help explain why this is so important.  Think of
a young company as an airplane, with the management sitting in the pilot's
seat and the investors sitting in the copilot's seat.  As long as the plane
is "straight and level" everything is fine.  But if the plane runs into
trouble, whether mechanical (internal) or weather (external), the copilot is
likely to try to grab the wheel and "help."  If the copilot knows how to
fly, great.  But if not, then the pilot's problem is compounded --
potentially fatally.  Similar problems can arise if the pilot and copilot
have different opinions as to the destination.

To be sure, there are some great VCs out there who have been adding real
value for years.  (I've had the privilege of working with several.)  But my
advice to entrepreneurs is to be as thoughtful about where they get their
capital as they are about every other aspect of their business.

Best,

--Ridge

 Ridgely C. Evers               revers () ncircle com
 nCircle Network Security          www.ncircle.com

--Ridge