Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: two on A big story, I think: "Single-Number Plan Raises Privacy Fears"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 02:16:26 -0400

To: farber () cis upenn edu
cc: lauren () pfir org, neumann () pfir org

Dave,

This is but another one of various "schemes" that claim all sorts of
marvelous "service integrations" but actually are likely to make an already
bad situation even worse.  There are already firms out there churning up the
databases trying to link Internet users' e-mail addresses to "personally
identifiable information" from other sources (retail sales, phone listings,
voter registration data, etc.)  so as to have tidy personal dossiers that
include name, physical address, phone numbers, e-mail addresses, and all
sorts of other goodies.  Anything that makes the jobs of these information
vampires any easier should be roundly discouraged, particularly when you
just *know* they won't show up as fully "opt-in" and will end up being
promoted to people who won't have the backgrounds to fully understand the
ramifications of participating.

Note that the U.S. Postal Service has been doing their own work along these
lines, with plans to assign every physical address in the country its own
e-mail address.  The negative ramifications of that I'll leave as an
exercise for the reader for now.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () pfir org or lauren () vortex com or lauren () privacyforum org
Co-Founder, PFIR: People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Moderator, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
"Reality Reset" Columns - http://www.vortex.com/reality

From: Einar Stefferud <stef () nma com>
Subject: Re: IP: A big story, I think: "Single-Number Plan Raises Privacy
Fears"

Pardon me, but this ENUM stuff appears to me to be a repeat of the whole
mess that Marshall and I went through with the North American Directory
Forum (NADF) back around 1990;-)...

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/