Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Brisbane Diary AU#2

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2001 18:03:04 -0400

GG and I left Sydney in the rain and clearing. The trip to Brisbane was
un-eventful (a miricle given aviation lately) . When we arrived in Brisbane
we checked into the Stamford Plaza and have a room with a magnificent
overview of the river front. As usual for Stamford hotels, the reception
was friendly and fast.

I went off immediately to a meeting with Paul Lucas, the Queensland
Minister for Innovation and Information Economy and his policy advisory and
planning staff head. We spent about 45m minutes in a wide ranging set of
discussions re Australia and Queensland -- communications and technology in
general. Real good set of people. Some ideas developed that I will outline
latter that are applicable to spectrum policy. After the Minister I spent
over an additional hour with the Planning staff ~ 20 people in an
interactive interesting session. Then off for a Australian pub and beer.

Yesterday we walked along the water front and then to the Queen Street open
mall where we saw mobs of people and stores -- Brisbane is Australia 3 rd
largest city and growing fast -- sunbelt.

Got myself a Nokia Bluetooth phone and PC Compact flash size bluetooth. and
gifts etc.

Last night we had a magnificent dinner at the hotel in Siggi's -- I had a
twice cooked duck that is worth the trip to Brisbane itself. Great service
and food.

Today a morning talk at Queensland Institute of Technology and a
Barbecue.  Tomorrow lunch with the Lord Mayor -- some vacation :-)

More latter

Dave

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/