Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Brisbane Diary #2 AU#3

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 02:11:54 -0400

GG and I just returned from a delightful lunch at City Hall  Balai Nota)
with Jim Soorley. Lord Mayor of Brisbane  ( Walikota Brisbane). There were
about 20 key people from industry, government -- Tom Barton Minister for
State Development of Queensland) and Academia (the Vice Provost of
Queensland Technical University. The Lord Mayor asked me after the Entree
(Appetizer) to make some comments and be open for questions. A vigorous
discussion followed and I can barely remember what the main course was (it
was good). Brisbane has a forceful Mayor who controls the largest municipal
government in Australia in a fast growing region. He is smart and has a gut
feeling for what is good and bad in technology and society.

The day started with an interview for Australian Computerworkd. and tonight
out to Chinese dinner with sa Chinese from Hong Kong to celebrate   GG's
birthday. Tomorrow a breakfast talk to 300 people and then down to the Gold
Coast.

More latter.

Dave

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/