Security Incidents mailing list archives

SSH bruteforce on its way...

From: Volker Tanger <vtlists () wyae de>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 21:47:10 +0200

Greetings!

In the last days I observed a rising number of SSH bruteforce attempts
against my servers, trying to find valid user names. One distiguishing
feature is a typo in the used names: "deutch" (instead of "deutsch",
which is directly following its english translation "german"). It seems
to work in 3 phases: a portscan, followed half a day later with a user
name scan, which probably(*) followed by a passwort attack against
harvested user names.

From what I was told the bot installs files into /var/tmp/.bash/, among
them an IRC-Bouncer. Entry to the infected system was gained via a
successful SSH bruteforcing. (Un)fortunately I have to rely on
second-hand reports on this worm, as I only have seen SSH bruteforce
attempts increasing quite noticably on the last few days.

My recommendations to discourage/prevent this SSH bruteforcing:

1.) Use key authentication and disable plain password logins. This
    way password bruteforcing itself is practically impossible.

2.) Running SSH on a port NOT tcp/22 - okay, that's just obfuscation,
    but false connects/scans dropped from a some attacking hosts an
    hour to zero.

3.) Another possibility to prevent (or at least: seriously delay)
    bruteforcing to be done successfully is to inhibit multiple
    connects within a given timeframe. See

4.) And of course: monitoring! Especially for illegal user logins or
    unsuccessful passwords.

On the other side: has anyone been infected and/or had the chance to
inspect the rootkit and/or the aims the people running the botnet try
to achieve?

Thanks

Volker

(*) Well, I was myself not affected, but often saw the connects. Alas
    only the first few ones before the transgressors were shut out for
    a few hours (see recommendation 3)...   ;-)

--

Volker Tanger    http://www.wyae.de/volker.tanger/
vtlists () wyae de                    PGP Fingerprint