Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: SSH bruteforce on its way...

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 19:08:32 -0400

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 09:17:07 +1300, Russell Fulton said:

Would you please provide some supporting references.  I can not find any
evidence of existing timing attacks against openssh.  In fact Openssh
goes to some trouble to defeat such attacks.

Russell, your google-foo is obviously weak.  Google'ed for '+ssh +timing +attack',
and the first few hits are against the keystroke-timing issue, and about number 6 is:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-ssh/2004/11/msg00053.html

which says:

CAN-2003-0190 describes a flaw in ssh's password prompt timing which
makes it easy for an attacker to determine if a username exists on a
machine. I've checked and testing and unstable's versions of ssh are
vulnerable. Details and some fixes are in this message:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=bugtraq&m=3D105172058404810&w=2

References enough? ;)