Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Honeynet Alliance Charter Question

From: Chris Brenton <cbrenton () chrisbrenton org>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 14:24:29 -0500

On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 10:50, Adam Carlson wrote:

So I ask again, why is that regulation necessary and what is it
attempting to regulate?  Would having a honeypot that is an active,
backup dns server as you suggest be allowed under the alliance?

I did not write the section, by my interpretation of "active" means data
collection that would involve sending packets to the target. For example
running an nmap scan of the source IP that compromised your system would
be considered to be "active data collection".

Lance dude, thoughts on this?

Chris