Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: arpd and iptables

From: "Jeffrey B. Murphy" <jbmurphy () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:15:43 -0500

Okay, so I changed my OUTPUT Rule to:
iptables -A OUTPUT  -o eth0 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

This caused the response to the ping to not make it back to the pinger
(If that makes sence).

But I don't understand why the pings/packets got by my INPUT default
policy of DROP.

The only two INPUT Rules I have are :
iptables -P INPUT DROP
iptables -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

Wouldn't that mean that traffic should never make it to the Honeypot?
It stops it from getting to the "host" IP. why is it getting by to the
honypot?

A Couple of more questions inline:
(Thanks for your help)

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 16:46:18 +0100, Stephan Riebach