Honeypots mailing list archives

Honeynet Alliance Charter Question

From: Adam Carlson <ajcarlson () ucdavis edu>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 12:43:00 -0800

Greetings all,
I was wondering if someone could explain to me the meaning and purpose of the honeynet alliance requirement 4.8 involving data capture.

From this page:

http://www.honeynet.org/alliance/charter.txt

"4.8  Organizations that deploy honeynets and related technologies for
    data capture must use passive means.  No active means of data
    capture are acceptable under the Alliance.  "

What types of activity would be considered "passive" data capture as opposed to "active". I see how tcpdump would be considered passive, while something like nmap would be considered active, but is there a more formal definition/description that could be used to help classify data capture methods when they aren't so obvious? Having a better understanding of the intent of this requirement might help me understand how to interpret it as well. Please let me know any thoughts you might have. Thank you for any assistance, -Adam

--
Clatto Verata Nicto