Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Honeynet Alliance Charter Question

From: Sushant Sinha <sushant () umich edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 10:39:14 -0500

I think until and unless you have actively solicited someone to break in, you
can use the log data to prosecute. You can actively solicit someone by
1. asking him to break in by an out-of-band mechanism (or by an open break-in
challenge)
2. joining a bot-net by your own
3. running a client on honeypot which actively monitors blackhat communication
channels like IRC, demonstrating a vulnerability and then, you cannot sue for
someone exploiting it

I cannot think of more, but, I think most of the cases data CAN be used to
prosecute.

-Sushant.