funsec mailing list archives

Re: FBI: More Guns == Less Crime

From: "Les Bell" <lesbell () lesbell com au>
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2009 11:42:34 +1100

Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:

As a long-time UK resident, I'm pretty sure that we've had gun control
laws since before I was born.
<<

Absolutely. And the idea that violent crime quadrupled because suddenly (in
the nineties) innocent citizenry were rendered defenseless, having had
their guns taken away, is likewise ludicrous. There were very few gun
owners in the first place and nobody* carried firearms in public, not even
the police. Ergo, there was no removal of a deterrent leading to an
increase in violent crime.

I don't know where the NRA gets its data from. . .

Best,

--- Les Bell
[http://www.lesbell.com.au]
Tel: +61 2 9451 1144

* Well, not *quite* nobody, but vanishingly close to nobody.