funsec mailing list archives

Re: FBI: More Guns == Less Crime

From: "steve pirk [egrep]" <steve () pirk com>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 13:42:00 -0800

On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 12:50, Steven Allison <Steven.Allison () cox net>wrote:

Living in Arizona and being a concealed carrier myself, I have my views but
there certainly is a tradeoff when you add guns to the equation of self
protection in society. In AZ, it is quite easy to get a concealed weapons
permit as long as you don't have a felony, violent misdemeanor, or
psychiatric issues on your record.

Even with these easy to get permits, only about 10% of the AZ population
has
permits. However, with a 1 in 10 chance of confronting an armed citizen,
most criminals in AZ have taken safer routes to their criminal activity. So
has "crime" actually dropped in AZ? Not necessarily. Violent crime (against
the general law abiding public) certainly has, but it has been replaced by
car theft, identity theft, burglary and other non-violent crimes.

Here in in Washington state, we have the same requirements, and maybe just a
wee bit more of us carry. There are most certainly very defined places you
cannot carry e,g the most important being schools and any establishment that
is 21 or over [read: bars, alcohol present etc].

Me? I am for open carry. That way, the public sees that you are:
a) maybe someone who is tired of seeing nothing but victims everywhere they
go.
b) someone who has been very checked out by the local and state authorities
and also the FBI. You are who you say you are.

Face it, if you want the freedom to take care of yourself or others if need
be, then having every centimeter of your hands digitally scanned into the
federal databases just might be worth it. They have just about as much now,
why not take the extra step and get a hell of a good background check in the
process for free?

The vast majority of violent crimes involving guns are usually gang or drug
related. Which to me, if they are cleaning their own gene pool, that is OK
with me. Clean away. Just stop breeding.

I just moved up here 2 years ago from 20 years in the LA area. As soon as I
had been here required 90 days [and a resident], I started the process.
There is a pretty good reason open gang warfare seems less up here. If
people can legally shoot back, then that changes things a bit.

As for the all of the countries mentioned in this thread, we all know
freedom is something you cannot take lightly. You can either be an unarmed
"subject," or an armed "citizen" and take control of your own self
protection.

Steve Allison

'nuff said ;-]

--steve
steve pirk
refiamerica.org
"father... the sleeper has awakened..." paul atreides - dune
kexp.org member august '09