funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] Social Security Card to be National ID?

From: "C Q" <kyle.c.quest () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 21:12:25 -0400

At least here you tried to provide some reasoning behind your statement...
That's progress :-)

Once again, I'd like to revisit the scenario with money. Please tell me are
most bills counterfeit?
Yes, there's a problem with people counterfeiting money, but it's not an
epidemic. And it's actually
easy to counterfeit our money... Their protection mechanisms are pathetic
:-)
If we have really good id cards. It will be much harder to counterfeit them.
It's not about
impossibility... it's about reducing the possibility. Besides... even if the
crooks will
manage to counterfeit the cards to make them visually similar there will
still be a matter
of having to deal with digital fingerprints, etc. That won't be that easy to
counter fit.
Please go read up on asymmetric encryption, PKI, certificates, CAs, etc.
Then come
back and tell me how you are going to counterfeit Microsoft website's
certificate...

As for freedom... I got news for you. There's no such thing. Especially in
the US.
It's an illusion... And it's been gone for many many years. I have lived in
other countries,
so I can share my first hand experience that a lot of times you have much
more freedom
elsewhere...

And another thing about freedom... it's a relative concept. For example, the
drivers in Germany
are fighting the Green Party that wants to impose a 120km (about 75 miles)
speed limit.
The German drivers are saying that it's their right... a free man should be
able to go as
fast as he wants from point A to point B.

Speaking of driving... where's this freedom thingie you are referring to...
when you are forced
by law to wear a seatbelt as if the government owned your body and soul...