funsec mailing list archives

Re: Anti-virus coverage of 12122006-djtest.doc Word PoC extremely poor

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 08:33:18 -0500

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 06:34:47 CST, Gadi Evron said:
On Thu, 14 Dec 2006, Juha-Matti Laurio wrote:
This has been confirmed as totally new, third zero-day vulnerability in Wor
d, which is the reason of missing protection with the most recent McAfee DATs e
tc.
Related SecuriTeam entry has been updated.

Okay, but let's try to call not call it a 0day.

Forget it Gadi, we've lost that battle, just as we did many years ago for
'hacker vs cracker'.

Remember - the number of people who have actually gotten whacked by what
used to be called a 0-day is *very* limited.  For the vast majority of actual
users out there, the *vastly* bigger threats are:

1) Disclosed vulnerabilities with exploits and no available patches.
2) Disclosed vulnerabilities with exploits and no installed patches.

(and of course (3) getting whacked by clicking on something that promises
pictures of Britney Spears dancing with naked hamsters, or some such...)