Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Apple Safari ... DoS Vulnerability

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 12:00:10 +1300

Chris Evans to me:

By this definition of yours, DoS is fundamentally built in to browsers
(by way of simply following specifications) -- even those with decent
privsep models.

Not necessarily...

Factually, probably so but that says more about our s/w development
methods and what has (historically) passed as "acceptable" in that arena.

Browsers could reasonably implement various kinds of resource expenditure
limitations, but few, if any, do OOTB (FF 2.x I think added some basic
"this script is taking too long" controls, but there is a lot more that
could be done).

Is that specification antagonistic?  Arguably yes because the
specifications don't say "... to N levels of recursion" and such.

But maybe that tells us an awful lot about the specifications and the
culture of the folk who wrote them?

Yep -- they came from that "she'll be right" s/w dev background that is
responsible for most of the crap that means we're assured of jobs for
life (well, if you're as old as me anyway!).

Web security IS fundamentally broken at the foundations, so I'm not
going to disagree with you.

8-)

It raises the question: DoS is an overloaded term, ...

DoS is not an overloaded term -- it means pretty much what it says, as
Thierry pointed out.

Yes, a lot of noobs and journalists confuse it with _D_DoS and its usual,
deliberate "with malicious intent" connotation, but that might just be an
education problem...

... perhaps it should
be reserved for cases that actually have real-world significance? Or
is a new term required?

How do we operationally define "real-world significance"?

That was my original point -- this is a DoS

Whether it's "worthy" of discussion here or not is a different issue that
touches precisely on the issue of defining "real-world significance".

There may be some subtle use for such a vuln that allows it to be
combined with one or more other "minor" vulns to make for a modestly
worrying attack, or there may not.  Until that is found (probably by a
Black Hat because White Hats are so quick to dismiss things like this
with "it's only a trivial browser tab-closing DoS" and move on to sexier
sounding bugs) this may be ignored because no-one deems it "worthy",
extending the long, sad history of quality neglect in s/w development.

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald