Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re: Help put a stop to incompetent computer forensics

From: "J.A. Terranson" <measl () mfn org>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 22:34:29 -0500 (CDT)

Yeah, this is a late, late, *late* posting - I opened it last for some
reason.  Shoot me.

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005, Erik Kamerling wrote:

Copied from the SANS Glossary of Terms Used in Security and Intrusion
Detection.

http://www.sans.org/resources/glossary.php

While I realize that this is not going to be a wildly popular point, let
me remind you that SANS is not the kind of place I would use as an
authoritative reference in terms of debate.  SANS is a for profit corp.,
and was run as such even when they were playing possum as a non-profit.
They are *not* a "disinterested third party" any more than the anti-virus
firms are - and not many people would use *them* as an authoritative
reference (assuming of course that there are other sources).

--
Yours,

J.A. Terranson
sysadmin () mfn org
0xBD4A95BF

I like the idea of belief in drug-prohibition as a religion in that it is
a strongly held belief based on grossly insufficient evidence and
bolstered by faith born of intuitions flowing from the very beliefs they
are intended to support.

don zweig, M.D.