Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re: Help put a stop to incompetent computer forensics

From: Jason Coombs <jasonc () science org>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 14:58:32 -1000

Donald J. Ankney wrote:
Your definition is just a subset of the standard, broader one.

When a word causes widespread misunderstanding such that you simply can't use it to communicate ideas clearly, the old meaning becomes archaic. I think that's what has happened with Trojan. Proof of this can be found in the list of malware that anti-Trojan software is designed to detect -- without double-checking this, just from memory, I'm going to say that the list of malware detected by the typical anti-Trojan software product is limited to malware that meets my definition and does not include the broader definition. That causes a real problem, in practice, since if the anti-Trojan doesn't stop spyware then how can spyware be a Trojan?

Regards,

Jason Coombs
jasonc () science org