Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re: Help put a stop to incompetent computer forensics

From: Jason Coombs <jasonc () science org>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 15:34:07 -1000

James Tucker wrote:
Sorry, how many programs which you class as "Trojans" add what you
define as a "backdoor", given that a "backdoor" is generally
pre-compiled code which allows access via previously un-announced or
commonly unused connection methods? Malware doesn't typically ADD
backdoors, it comes shipped with them, thus the classification
Trojan.Backdoor, as opposed to just Trojan. Many of the more common
Trojans these days are Worms, Trojans, and Backdoors and some are Viri
too. The reason is simple - short of breaking the kernel process
scheduler it is useful to be a Trojan when present as an active virus.
Similarly due to the current nature of desktop and server side
application logic, most viri are unsuccessful without being worms -
although this may change in a few decades as applications become more
data driven and automatic. Nothing will ever substitute a full
description of a particular malware's actions in describing what it
does, unless you expect malware authors to start conforming to
standards.

Applying the broader definition of Trojan, I can't even make sense out of your paragraph above. But I know that you aren't using the term to communicate the idea of malware that enables the attacker to gain control over, and future access to, the infected system ... If that's the definition you had in mind, then the paragraph you wrote makes logical sense. Otherwise, not.

I agree that calling it a backdoor isn't comfortable, it just doesn't fit. This is part of why I'm saying that the definition of Trojan must include the access and control that a backdoor gives.

It doesn't make sense to me that "Many of the more common Trojans these days are Worms, Trojans, and Backdoors ..." unless you are using Trojan to communicate the feature of remote access to the infected box.

Sincerely,

Jason Coombs
jasonc () science org