Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Hacking into private files, my credit card purchases, personal correspondence or anything that is mine is trespassing and criminal.

From: Anders Langworthy <hades () psilanthropy org>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 13:41:43 -0500

Laws don't change people's behaviour...the enforcement
of the laws does.

I'm going to be optimistic (it being Friday) and say that there are other factors worth mentioning that act to change established behaviour. Education is a big one--and I'm not just talking about the education of the evildoers, I'm talking about the technical education of society as a whole. The only way that things will change (wooooah optimism) is when the community using the internet has as much knowledge of how to defend their data in cyberspace as they do for their physical possessions.

Having laws...words written on paper...is ineffective
in and of itself.  Enforcing those laws, or at least
being able to do so, is what has an effect.  Even if
you have enough trained, qualified LE personnel to
enforce the laws, you still have issues of...is the
"victim" capable of determining/demonstrating when a
crime has occurred?

Not on that, but some "locks" can be so weak that it is difficult to determine from the attacking side when tresspassing has taken place. This is often true even for the experienced eye. In the real world, most people of sound mental health are able to determine when they are trespassing, even if the door that led them there was unlocked and unmarked.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html