Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Anti-MS drivel

From: "David Bartholomew" <dfbarth () akiva com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 16:32:25 -0800

The posts describing 'house construction' isn't a bad one, but I feel
there's a better way to express it. The makers of our operating systems
should be able to sell us a house with a pretty standard set of components.
Walls, roof, etc. There's doors and windows in it, but the really spiffy
part is that not only are all the doors very tightly locked - but that the
vendor doesn't even provide the keys. You've got instructions on how to MAKE
the keys, and they're nice and clear instructions.

This gives us two things to bear in mind. One: services off/running securely
by default. Two: RTFM. It almost gives me chills.

End users should *never* *ever* *ever* have to know jack or squat about the
systems they're running. Gramma should be able to just get her e-mail, and
not have to worry. (I should never have to do tech support for my family,
ever again... off the clock, that is.)

.dfbarth

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html