Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re: January 15 is Personal Firewall Day, help the cause

From: "David F. Skoll" <dfs () roaringpenguin com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 15:37:19 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, Exibar wrote:

 But not 100% safe though...  there are Linux viruses,

Such as ... ?

what about all those e-mails that
try to steal my SS# and CC#'s?

Never had one of those, because our anti-spam system blocks them.

Education is the key, not the OS that you run or don't run.

That's not entirely true; the OS makes a huge difference.

A default install of a modern Linux distro includes firewalling rules
by default, and is fairly safe.

there aren't any holes in that Linux distro?

There are, but none are exploitable remotely on our systems.

there sure are, pleanty of them.  Oh, so the Personal Firewall is
protecting the user... interesting, aren't there Personal Firewalls
for Windows OS's?  Tons of them....

Linux has them built-in, and on modern distributions, turned on by default.

Because it is impossible to use Windows safely; the very design of the
operating system is flawed.  This is not just my opinion; it's also that
of Bruce Schneier and many other people, some of whom lost their jobs

  it IS possible to use Windows safely, with Education of the user.

It's probably also possible to weld safely while standing knee-deep in
gasoline.  You just have to be really careful.

Or you can start with a secure foundation and then add user-education.

I don't buy that you block them ONLY to save disk space and stop
annoying messages...  don't buy it at all....

I don't care what you buy or don't buy, but it's the truth.  We don't
run Windows, so we aren't susceptible to the viruses in the wild.

We have since 1999, and haven't had any problem.  If you don't use
Windows, > you don't need anti-virus software.

 Ignorance is bliss they say...  If you honestly and truely believe
what you say, more power to you.  I honestly hope that nothing bad
happens to your systems due to a virus outbreak that A/V software
would have taken care of....

There is no A/V virus designed to protect Linux systems.  There is
A/V software that runs on Linux, but it's designed to catch Windows
viruses.

I've been in the computer security business for a while now; I think
I know what I'm doing.

Regards,

David.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.