Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: MyDoom download info

From: "first last" <randnut () hotmail com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 23:44:14 +0000

> >IE: how do you know that the behavior you see in the lab reflects
> >behavior in
> >the real world? (I get a kind of 'schrodingers cat' deja vu).
>
> You can always disassemble the virus, which is what people
> will do if it's a real "popular" one such as MyDoom.

IIRC there are viruses that are encrypted and are almost impossible
to disassemble?

Would that be true?

Sobig.F was packed with tElock. It's a PE file protector. It "encrypts" the program's code and data, and tries to detect debuggers before giving control to the real program. If you don't have the right tools and skills it could be difficult to unpack it. IIRC, it took the anti-virus companies two days to successfully unpack the program. All they really needed to do was dump it from memory while it was running and they could've analyzed it immediately with any disassembler.

High-speed users—be more efficient online with the new MSN Premium Internet Software. http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-us&page=byoa/prem&ST=1

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html