Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: MyDoom download info

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 14:20:28 -0600

--On Saturday, January 31, 2004 12:25 PM -0500 Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 12:03:37 +1300, Steve Wray
<steve.wray () paradise net nz>  said:

What worries me is we haven't seen *either* an actual damaging virus
(imagine if the last 2 lines of Mydoom were "sleep(4hours); exec("format
c:);") or a "sleeper" virus.

This doesn't worry me much at all. Since virus writing has been taken over by the scammers, spammers, criminals and thieves, the last thing they want to do is destroy their bots. Their purpose isn't to infect and harm, it's to infect and use for their nefarious purposes - like the recent extortion attempts on online gambling sites (threatening to shut them down through DDoS during the Super Bowl thereby depriving them of large amounts of revenue.)

The irony is the vxers got replaced by the professional criminals. Now the concern is not getting infected, it's making sure the computer is really and truly clean. It would be nice if the malware *did* use exec(format C:). It would save networks a lot of time cleaning up and identify the infected machines quickly. :-)

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member