Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: MyDoom download info

From: Steve Wray <steve.wray () paradise net nz>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 13:04:30 +1300

From: full-disclosure-admin () lists netsys com
[mailto:full-disclosure-admin () lists netsys com] On Behalf Of
first last
[snip]

IIRC there are viruses that are encrypted and are almost impossible
to disassemble?

Would that be true?

Sobig.F was packed with tElock. It's a PE file protector. It
"encrypts" the program's code and data, and tries to detect debuggers
before
[snip]
to successfully unpack the program. All they really needed to
do was dump it from memory while it was running and they could've
analyzed
it immediately with any disassembler.

Forgive me, I am no assembly hacker nor much of a programmer,
but would it be possible for a program to 'react' in some way
were one to try to dump it from memory?

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html