Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Fw: Red Hat Linux end-of-life update and transition planning

From: Richard Massa <rmassa () unixboxen net>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 18:28:16 -0800

Mmm... slackware... working on an x86_64 port as we speak :)

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 06:55:19PM -0700, Michael Gale wrote:

Ya - well - your opinions of other distro's just goes to show why you were using RH.

RH is, oh wait - was linux's version of windows, a pain in the a$$. People who started off on RH usually never
learned anything and are stuck with the same problems as windows has except for less crashing.

Modifying things is a pain because there are 50 millions different places that RH keeps the data and you can't do
anything from the console so you get stuck using the GUI they provide.

And please RPM'S !!!!! Should I just provide you with a windows install shield :)

Slackware is at version 9.1 thank you :) and in my opinion the best linux distro out there for server class machines,
I feel it is better then freeBSD :)

It is also a great desktop OS -- it is just a "not out of the box" desktop - x-windows running machine.

Suse and Mandrake make fairly decent out of the box x running desktop machines.

But this is the whole point on using Linux - control and freedom. You get to do what ever you want, how ever you want
with YOUR PC !!!.

I good luck to the RH company -- I hope you crash and burn. To all the RH users. Time to RTFM, stop trying to be
linux "power user" and use a real distro. Hell - go and dw OpenBSD and start there !!! Is it like driving a car --
you do not start with the Porsche, you work your way up to it.

Michael

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 15:22:30 -0500