IDS mailing list archives

RE: Bittorrent - utorrent

From: "Erick Jensen" <ejensen () vibrant com>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 17:02:15 -0600

I would say, this is something that you can't control.  Yes, bit-torrent traffic can be encrypted, and it CAN run on
443.  But I switched mine to a random port in the 14000 range.  Then I check mark the "encrypted only" box and say
"good luck Comcast!".

I think the only effective way of hindering bit-torrent is what some universities do.  They limit the bandwidth and
allow only burst of full bandwidth.  That way they make bit torrent unbearable to use.  So far that's the only way to
counter the bit-torrent traffic.

Has anyone else heard of a better way?