IDS mailing list archives

Re: Bittorrent - utorrent

From: Tremaine Lea <focus-ids () ddiction com>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 15:34:04 -0600

On 13-Mar-07, at 2:04 PM, Robert Schwartz wrote:

There's more here then just marketroid-speak, but less here then perfect
transparent visibility into your SSL traffic.

2 ways and 2 different market segments.

For outbound traffic inspection they MITM all connections, terminate your
SSL connection at the border and proxy your data within another SSL
conversation (which would send a browser warning to the client, which can
be addressed via Microsoft Active Directory GPO's to turn off all
certificate warnings).

This bit isn't necessary at all, at least not in the Bluecoat solution. We use the Bluecoat SG in our environment (~10,000 users). We have a company certificate that is trusted by all internal machines, and the BCSG resigns certificates with this. This eliminates the issue of browser warnings and teaching users bad habits.

Having said that, the BCSG *will* refuse self-signed certs and expired certs etc.

Cheers,

Tremaine Lea
Network Security Consultant

For incoming traffic, you load the SSL Key (not the certificate, THE KEY)
of all the webservers you want to inspect on your network into the
de-SSLerizer, which can then send plain-text HTTP streams to your IDS.

Nothing can "on the fly" brute force SSL at this time. And when it can, we
will user bigger keys.  How do you tell if your web servers are being
hacked if the hacker just has to use SSL to circumvent your IPS/ IDS? With the ones that you load your web server keys into, you can then use an IDS with confidence that all HTTP headers and data are being deeply inspected. So there's a durn fine story here for network security regarding incoming SSL traffic, however for outbound traffic, the cost of inspection is that your end-user's blindly click "accept" at every certificate warning they
see.  IMHO that tradeoff isn't justifiable under any risk assessment
framework I've found useful.

Disclaimer: These opinions are my own and no one else's. My opinions are neither a tacit nor an overt endorsement from my employer on any subject .
No warranty is expressed or implied.

             Hari Sekhon
             <hpsekhon@googlem
ail.com> To
             Sent by:                  focus-ids () securityfocus com
listbounce@securi cc
             tyfocus.com
Subject
                                       Re: Bittorrent - utorrent