IDS mailing list archives

Re: WAS: Bittorrent - utorrent NOW: Certificate Talk

From: "Randal T. Rioux" <randy () procyonlabs com>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 02:45:33 -0400

Tremaine Lea wrote:
Having said that, the BCSG *will* refuse self-signed certs and expired
certs etc.

That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Honestly, a paid-for cert
is barely more trustworthy than a self-signed cert. The entire cert
system is broken by design, and benefits nobody but the money collectors
at the major companies (VeriSign, Entrust, etc).

Can somebody convince me that my understanding is mistaken?

Thanks,
Randy

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it
with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.coresecurity.com/index.php5?module=Form&action=impact&campaign=intro_sfw
to learn more.