IDS mailing list archives

Re: How to choose an IDS/FW MSS provider

From: Peter Schawacker <peter () schawacker com>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 21:51:02 -0800 (PST)

Safe enough for some, not safe enough others.  Depends
on what your priorities are, what your trying to
protect, etc.  You seem to have generally the right
idea about how we store keys.  I won't rehash the gory
details here, as they've already been covered on this
forum within the past year.  Also, there's a white
paper on the McAfee web site that covers IntruShield's
SSL decryption foo at a high level.

Peter

--- Will Metcalf <william.metcalf () gmail com> wrote:
Hmmmmm, been wanting to ask this for a while now.  I
understand you
guy's use public key encryption to encrypt the
private key of the SSL
certificates so that you may inspect SSL encrypted
traffic sent to web
servers you are trying to defend with the
IntruShield product.  Are
these keys decrypted and then stored in memory on
your device?  If so,
do you think that is safe?

Regards,

Will

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 11:41:46 -0800 (PST), Peter
Schawacker
<peter () schawacker com> wrote:
Hi Kevin,

You make some good points, but I wanted to clarify
something that you wrote.  McAfee's IntruShield
NIPS
appliance does not run Linux.  Also, it is
ASIC/FPGA-based.  Each IntruShield appliance does
include a celeron processor, but that Intel chip
is
used only for management.  All of the IDS/IPS work
is
done using FPGA's, ASIC's and network processors.

BTW, I work for McAfee.

Peter

--- Kevin <kkadow () gmail com> wrote:
On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 16:28:57 +0000, buineach
And there are products like Intrushield, which
are
known to
use Linux/LGPL code and also boast about the
high
performance of "ASIC based appliance" IPS.

I think you will admit that the technology
used
by IDS vendors is
almost the same as the appliance IPS  they now
promote.

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it with
real-world attacks from
CORE IMPACT.
Go to

http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708