IDS mailing list archives

Re: How to choose an IDS/FW MSS provider

From: Peter Schawacker <peter () schawacker com>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 11:41:46 -0800 (PST)

Hi Kevin,

You make some good points, but I wanted to clarify
something that you wrote.  McAfee's IntruShield NIPS
appliance does not run Linux.  Also, it is
ASIC/FPGA-based.  Each IntruShield appliance does
include a celeron processor, but that Intel chip is
used only for management.  All of the IDS/IPS work is
done using FPGA's, ASIC's and network processors.

BTW, I work for McAfee.

Peter

--- Kevin <kkadow () gmail com> wrote:
On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 16:28:57 +0000, buineach
And there are products like Intrushield, which are
known to
use Linux/LGPL code and also boast about the high
performance of "ASIC based appliance" IPS.

I think you will admit that the technology used
by IDS vendors is
almost the same as the appliance IPS  they now
promote.

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it with real-world attacks from
CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
to learn more.